Pages

Jan 2, 2014

Recipe: Caramel Custard (Microwave)

Posted by Poornima Seetharaman at 12:12 PM
Caramel Custard. Yet another superb dessert! My first attempt was for Christmas 2013, to fulfill hubby's request :)

My first attempt: Caramel Custard 

I followed the recipe from here:
http://www.niruskitchen.com/recipes/details.asp?recipe_id=16&category_id=9

And this recipe for the caramel:
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/2012/02/caramel-custard-caramel-pudding-baked.html
The picture by picture representation in the above blog helped me assure that my caramel was right.

Copy pasting the mixture of the above two recipes with my comments below:


Serves 2 large portions or 4 small portions


Ingredients
¾ cup (180 g) sugar (I used caster sugar)
2 tbsp water
4 eggs (I used only 3 and feel that should be enough)
2 tsp Cornflour (After my finished product, I feel it could be 3 tsp)
2 cups (450 ml) milk (I used tetra pack milk; not slim or skimmed versions)
1 tsp vanilla essence 



Method (caramel from the second website, the rest from the first)
  1. In a nonstick pan add ¼ cup (60g) sugar and water and swirl the pan to help it to melt down.
  2. Let the caramel come to a boil allow it to bubble up till it turns golden brown. Don't stir the pan which results in a sticky caramel. (Refer the images in the second website listed above)
  3. Pour this caramel into the microwave dish and spread it evenly.
  4. Ideally ramekins or similar should be used. I used a medium sized glass bowl because that's all I had. I would suggest using something with a depth just slightly larger to the contents inside. 
  5. Beat eggs, cornflour, vanilla and the remaining sugar together. Add the milk in a stream, beating all the time.
  6. Pour mixture into the dish and cook covered, at 30% for 10-12 minutes.  (I used 450W in microwave mode in my Samsung Microwave and cooked it for 14 minutes)
  7. Cool, (put in the fridge or chill tray), unmould and serve. You might have to adjust the time after trying once or twice.

Enjoy! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Buon Appetito Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos